Although the University of Georgia is now known as the home of Uga, the pure white English bulldog, several mascots led the Red and Black before Frank W. Seiler provided the current lineage.
The Goat, Feb. 22, 1892
Georgia's mascot for its first football game against Auburn, February 22, 1892 in Atlanta, Ga., was a goat. Old newspaper clippings indicate that the goat wore a black coat with red U.G. letters on each side. He also had on a hat with ribbons all down his high horns, and the Auburn fans yelled throughout the game "shoot the billy-goat."
In 1894, Georgia's mascot was a solid white female bull terrier owned by a student, Charles H. Black, Sr., of Atlanta. Trilby, named after a novel by George Du Maurier, served as the campus pet and mascot for the Chi Phi fraternity.
Disputing stories speculate the origin of the Bulldog nickname, and the story of Trilby provides yet another opinion: "...every day Trilby took herself down to old Herty field with her master for football practice. She ran signals with the best of them and became an accustomed figure on the athletic field...One morning, Trilby failed to appear for her breakfast and after a frantic search she was finally discovered proudly washing the faces of her newborn family, 13 white puppies...Late one dusky fall afternoon, Trilby appeared for a grid workout and scampering after her came her 13 children, darting through players' legs, barking and pace. 'Well,' suggested one of the players, 'Trilby has brought us a name, Bulldogs.'...Every time a game was played on Herty Field, the boys would floss Trilby and her 13 offerings up with red and black ribbons, and so attired they have gone down in history as perhaps the first 'sponsors' in southern football." -Ruth Stanton Cogill (Atlanta newspaper) "After the reign of Trilby and her family, chaos developed in the mascot department at the university. Many games had several, depending on which alumnus got his dog to the game first." -AJC, Nov. 18, 1962
Mr. Angel, 1944-46
Mr. Angel, a brindle and white colored English Bulldog owned by Eastman, Ga., physician, Warren Coleman, filled a void during some of the war years. There was no mascot roaming the sidelines and Coleman took Mr. Angel to games and stood with him on the sidelines. His picture on the field and with the Georgia cheerleaders appears in the 1945 and '46 UGA annual, the Pandora.
Butch was a brindled English bulldog owned by Mabry Smith of Warner Robins, Ga. He was spotted by students who were attending the 1946 Georgia-Georgia Tech game in Athens, and the canine appeared to be suited for the mascot position. Smith agreed to loan Butch to the University during the football season along with a female puppy named Tuffy. The female died of a heart attack following the Georgia-Kentucky game in 1948, but Butch continued to serve. Spending the off-season at Smith's home in Warner Robins, Butch was tragically shot in the summer of 1951 by a policeman after the dog escaped from his pen and was found roaming the streets. Butch is buried behind Smith's business along Watson Boulevard.
In 2004 plans for a marker honoring Butch in his hometown were put into motion by longtime Warner Robins resident Guy Fussell.
Butch was succeeded by Mike, another brindled English bulldog, owned by C. L. Fain. Mike lived in the field house on campus and died of natural canine causes in 1955. As his master's thesis, Gene Owens of Fort Worth, Texas, cast the bronze statue of Mike, which is located at the entrance of Memorial Hall.
Although Otto was not pure white like his father, he was called upon to fill in for his younger brother, Uga IV, who injured ligaments in his left hind knee when jumping off a hotel bed before the Vanderbilt contest. In four games during the 1986 season, Otto led the team to a 3-1 record and also co-mascotted (along with Uga IV), a victory over instate rival Georgia Tech. After winning his first two games, fans cheered, "2-and-0 with Otto!" Dooley, serving as head coach during Otto's brief tenure favored the substitute the most. "I have always had a great affection for those who came off the bench and performed, and he did that and had a great time," Dooley said. Otto is buried in the Seilers' backyard.